Manager – Public Affairs
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a manager to join its public affairs team to support the development, execution and tracking of public affairs and communications strategies for key PhRMA advocacy priorities. The manager will report to a deputy vice president on the public affairs team and work closely with PhRMA staff, PhRMA member companies, the media and external consultants.
The manager will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Develop, review and edit blog posts, social media content, pre-event briefings, reports and presentations, among other materials
- Serve as a liaison, both within the department and with other departments, to help coordinate efforts among all PhRMA colleagues on communications activities in support of organization’s advocacy goals/objectives
- Collaborate with the policy department on activities related to cost and value of medicines, value-driven health care and medication adherence, including providing communications and messaging support for report rollouts and rapid response to media requests
- Create agendas, presentation materials and summary/compilation reports
- Staff department activities, including press events, conferences and announcements
Key Success Factors
Key success factors for this role include being a multitasker, strategic and creative thinker, idea generator, problem-solver, a writer and self-starter. A successful candidate for this role will be adaptable and responsive, and have the ability to work under pressure, both independently and collaboratively, as well as under short timelines. This candidate should have a strong team orientation, excellent interpersonal and written communications skills and the desire to learn and grow with the broader public affairs teams.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of two years of relevant professional experience
- Strong relationship-building and collaboration skills
- Experience working with external constituencies
- Ability to balance the needs of various internal and external parties with flexibility and a steady temperament
- Exceptional writing and editing skills and the ability to write for disparate audiences and channels (i.e., traditional and social) both strategically and creatively
- Commitment to exceptional work-product quality
- Exceptional organizational and project-management skills
- Passion, motivation, energy and curiosity to stay abreast of current industry trends
Preferred Experience / Requirements
- Health policy experience and experience in public relations, media relations, trade association or Capitol Hill experience preferred
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $900 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $79.6 billion in 2018 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.