Director - Alliance Development
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Director for its Advocacy and Strategic Alliances (ASA) team to develop and manage relationships at the state level with organizations that align with PhRMA’s issues and priorities. This individual will provide strategic guidance and oversee tactical implementation of statewide initiatives to support state advocacy efforts and PhRMA’s initiatives.
The Director will report to the Deputy Vice President/State Alliance and will work closely with colleagues PhRMA-wide.
The Director will:
- Direct state-based alliance and third-party activity on statehouse issues in a 6-10 state region of the country. This includes collaboration with State Advocacy to align and deliver on legislative priorities, third-party and grassroots strategy development, management of in-state consultants, managing tactical executions, and reporting of outcomes and results.
- Develop working relationships and collaborate with State Advocacy Regional Directors, state alliance consultants, state partners, member company state task forces, and internal PhRMA colleagues to provide alliance support for PhRMA state priorities.
- Manage short-term issue campaigns and partner activations on state issues and communicate priorities, areas of focus, progress and results to the Alliance team, PhRMA management and member companies.
- Develop long term strategies for partner engagement to foster better understanding of pharmaceutical industry policy positions and issues by lawmakers and key opinion leaders.
- Represent industry to third parties, give presentations on industry value, and lead both large and small group meetings as needed.
- Manage and oversee regional budget, including consultant contracts, expenses, and third-party grants.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a collaborative, proactive, self-starter who is passionate about access to medicines and addressing the healthcare challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include strong organization and execution skills as well as a team focus paired with the ability to work independently. The preferred candidate will have demonstrated success in developing and implementing strategic alliances and will be adaptable, a creative problem solver, be able to reprioritize/shift gears quickly and be comfortable in a high-pressure environment. Excellent interpersonal, communication and diplomacy skills are a must as is the ability to synthesize, simplify and translate complex and controversial healthcare issues to broad audiences.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree; public policy, political science, public affairs or related
- 5-7 years of experience in grassroots mobilization, coalition development, public affairs and/or
- Experience managing people, either direct reports or consultants
- Experience managing projects and budgets
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal and state legislative and regulatory processes
- Experience engaging with or working in the pharmaceutical industry preferred
- Ability to travel up to 50%
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier, and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $71.4 billion in 2017 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges. We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
To apply, click on the link below: